Thursday 29 January 2015

Telling people about MS...

Today I told the two friend's I made at the FRA that I have MS. I've known them 5 minutes but already I felt I should let them in on my not so little secret.

I don't plan on the whole class knowing or even on my course tutor knowing... but I've realised that I made MS such a huge part of my life for the past two years that it's hard for me NOT to mention it when people ask; 'So what were you doing before this course?' 'How come you were working at a School?' 'Why did you leave Ann Summers?' OR when I'm explaining my past experiences.

I'm not ashamed of MS but I'm also not going to let it define me or use it as a platform the way I have done for two years. Although it has been a great platform at times! And equally not so great at others. 

I have been invited for an interview on Saturday for a HUGE lingerie brand... will I be telling them I have MS? Um... NO. Not yet anyway. It's a tricky one about telling employers, future employers, new friends, old friends etc etc. What will their reaction be? Will they change towards me? Will I be discriminated against? 

My advise to someone who has been recently diagnosed? 

Don't be afraid of what people think. You are STRONGER than you think so bite the bullet and tell those who matter. Tell your family and close friends... This is what they are for... this is one of those times when family and friends make ALL the difference. 

You don't need to shout it to the world, unless you're like me and it helps to live out the experience with everyone and anyone all over the world. Maybe pencil down your thoughts in a diary or on an anonymous blog and you'll start to find it easier to manage in no time. The idea of telling new people will start to not matter as much. 

Anyway... my advise is to BE BRAVE, BE OPEN, FAMILY AND FRIENDS are like supporting pillars at a time like this and you'll be pleasantly surprised; most importantly BE LEGENDARY. 

MS is YOUR OPPORTUNITY to BE LEGENDARY. 

P x

No comments:

Post a Comment