Thursday 28 February 2013

Knight Knight





I’ve gone quiet for a week or so now which is very unlike me! Sometimes it’s hard to be a big ball of positivity 24/7. I do try my best though. Ideally I’d like to do a post a day or at least one every couple of days. Especially as it will help me to track my own progress as the weeks and months pass me by.

Last week I went up to Birmingham to scatter my granddad’s ashes around the tree where my nanny’s ashes were planted. It’s in a beautiful National Trust location called Dudmaston and their tree is within the grounds overlooking the lake..a peaceful place they used to visit together. 

My Granddad was and always will be my role model and inspiration in life.

I think it’s really important in life to have someone who inspires you and guides you even if they don’t know it. I can always find that in Granddad…He was a very kind, decent man with the upmost respect for everyone; a man with good morals and an incredible sense of humor. Personally I fell in love with the pure, true romance, he had and will always have with my Nanny. It’s something I don’t believe my generation or younger really believe in or understand. They met at 16 and ‘courted’ for a few years before they decided to get married. Military duties couldn’t break them as they wrote to each other every single day they were apart. There is something so romantic about waiting for a letter and not being available via every form of communication physically possible. When they wed on granddads return, they had a huge bonfire of all the letters and there they began their long and beautiful life together. 

Granddad's gentlemanly ways changed the way I saw how I should live my life and how to treat others and treat myself. I am a silly fun loving person but in a lot of peoples eyes I may come across as boring. I care tremendously about my health and lifestyle and I have big visions for the future. I rarely drink alcohol, don't smoke and wouldn't touch a (non prescribed) drug ever. These decisions on how to live my life are so important to keep me going now so I guess I was subconsciously preparing myself for this huge change.

He showed me that nothing is too great to overcome. There is nothing in life I can not do and it gives me such unexpected strength knowing my Granddad will never know I have MS.

P xx

In memory of my Nanny and Granddad, Jean Mary and Donald Joseph Knight.

1 comment:

  1. Aww Paula - that's so lovely. Kathy just told me about your blog, and the first thing I saw when I opened it was your grandad. He was such a lovely man, and he always reminded me of my Dad - so gentle and kind. Brought a real lump to my throat. You take care, and I'll enjoy reading your blog. Joan xx

    ReplyDelete