Friday 15 March 2013

Eat, Breathe, Sleep Hard Work

" My attitude is that if you push me towards something that you think is a weakness, I will turn that perceived weakness into strength" - Michael Jordan

This week I have been incredibly inspired by world class athletes, their achievements, and more importantly the mind set which got them there. The likes of Michael Jordan, Muhammed Ali and Jim Abbott have incredible stories of struggle and success overcoming any obstacle in their way and I truly believe their mental state is highly accountable for where they are today.

Take a look at this recent article about Basketball player Chris Wright, the first NBA player with Multiple Sclerosis. HERE. Hopefully this will not only encourage others to fulfil their dreams but also raise awareness of this condition.

Inspire: To inspire means to fill someone with the urge or ability to do or feel something. 

Throughout the course of sport history there are many athletes who have inspired the masses, not just to succeed in sports but to succeed in life. To overcome life's difficulties and be a champion in your own right.

MS is my opportunity to show the world what I can do.
It's a strength NOT a weakness.

Like I have said before; there are so many things I am doing now which I wouldn't be without my MS diagnosis. Unfortunately we live in a society where we become complacent and accustom to routine, something great has to happen for us to re evaluate where we are and what we are doing before we make significant changes. MS has been that 'something great' to happen to me. It's given me opportunities I had never considered before so I choose to focus on that rather than what it has taken away form me.

The world is challenging us to demonstrate the power of the mind, body and spirit when we align them to overcome this physically destructive disease. 

This week I turned to books for words of wisdom. 



My Top 10 recommended reads for anyone who wants to feel that urge to do or feel something great, or simply see how others have overcome difficult situations:

1. A Million Little Pieces - James Frey 
2. My Friend Leonard - James Frey
3. The Soul Of A Butterfly - Muhammed Ali & Hana Yasmeen Ali
4. A Testament of Hope - The essential writings and speeches of Martin Luther King Jr
5. I Can't Accept Not Trying - Michael Jordan
6. The Secret - Rhonda Byrne
7. Love Letters of Great Men 
8. Running With Scissors - Augusten Burroughs
9. Beautiful - Katie Piper
10. The Alchemist - Paulo Cohelo


Happy Reading. 

P xx

1 comment:

  1. Hi Paula
    I'm totally inspired by your blog -you are truly amazing
    The alchemist is one of my favorite books and I read a million little pieces and loved that it was so gritty
    Check out shantaram by David Gregory
    See you in Lagos xx Caroline

    ReplyDelete