Saturday 16 March 2013

Rebif or No Rebif?

MS is a condition of the Central Nervous System

MS has no cure. 


However, there are Disease Modifying Drugs (DMD's) available which have been proven to reduce the number of relapses by a third over two years. 

There are different types of DMD's all with various side effects and different way to administer them. There is the option of licensed DMD's  and unlicensed DMD's, often causing much debate. 

I have been offered the licensed drug; Beta Interferon 1a - Rebif 

About Rebif:
- injectable under the skin 3 times a week
- Known to slow the progression of disability

Side Effets:
- Flu like symptoms
- Injection site reactions
- Depression and anxiety

"Interferons are proteins produced naturally in the human body, and help fight viral infections in the immune system It’s thought that beta interferon can reduce (and might prevent) inflammation which can damage nerve fibres in MS." - MS Society (find out more here)

THERE IS NO CLEAR RESEARCH FOR LONG-TERM BENEFITS

It's safe to say I'm scared.

I have yet to start taking Rebif although I have 'qualified' to receive this treatment...well done me?
The truth is, I'm scared of what I'm putting into my system 3 times a week, 52 weeks a year, every year for the rest of my life. 
It's a big change and with all the side effects is it worth it? 
I've spoke  to a lot of people through my blog and Twitter and the majority say; YES it is worth it!
some suffered no side effects and others such terrible side effects they wouldn't dare try to take it again.

So much of me wants to believe that I can beat this illness with mental strength, determination and huge changes in diet and lifestyle. But just how realistic could this be?

With the help of my Personal Trainer, my Physio, my Nutritionist, my Masseuse AND my family what more could I possibly need to help me on my way. Is that not enough?

 I simply can't decide if I want to start taking Rebif. I am meeting with my MS  nurse next week (Edgeware Community Hospital) who might be able to help me make my decision and perhaps hearing stories from other people rather than reading too much into whats online will help me make up my mind. 

P xx




1 comment:

  1. I am in the same position. What did you decide after all?

    ReplyDelete