Wednesday 6 March 2013

Feeling Inspired

Today is a good day. I woke up feeling stronger than I did yesterday and even more determined to take another step up the ladder of recovery tomorrow. 

We take each day as it comes and just as no two 'MS-ers' are the same, neither is one day to the next for me or any of my MS buddies out there. We don't know what symptom we're going to wake up with tomorrow, just as nobody knows whats going to happen to them this afternoon or in a weeks time...But for us it's the heightened risk and likelihood which can put fear into the future. 

I feel like I'm doing a 'Lucas from One Tree Hill' voice over as I say this but 
"Life is either a daring adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

We have to look at this as one of life's challenges. We can either sit and cry about what the future may hold for us, think of the worst, and send ourselves into a deep depression. OR, we can take control of this opportunity we've been given to show everyone how strong we can be.

I've been asked by many people how I stay so positive given this diagnosis, but in reality it's my way of surviving. Honestly, I am so motivated by other people and their stories and determination... I want to be someone great one day so I look at those who have achieved great things yet come from bad places. 
I am also only 8 weeks into my life with MS where as I've spoken to people who are 3, 10, even 20 years down the line and they are still fighting. These are the people I want to hear and learn from. 

Without sounding like a sob story...I've battled anxiety and depression in my past as a late teenager which was completely unrelated to MS, so I know what it feels like to reach MY rock bottom...to feel the worst you possibly can. It took me a few years but I fought every single day and eventually resurfaced. I told myself no matter what happens to me I WILL NEVER LET MYSELF FEEL THAT WAY AGAIN. Nothing will control me in that way..and I stand by that now. I've been offered pills and different sorts of medication to help me 'cope' with this transition but I don't want them. That would be admitting I need to rely on another source to succeed and I know I can do this on my own.

MS is unpredictable and scary at times but what is one chance at life on earth if its not a challenge. Everything feels better when you've had to struggle to get it. Train yourself to believe that easy isn't an option. Anything gained easily isn't worth having. 

"I learned that courage was not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it. The brave man is not he who does not feel afraid, but he who conquers that fear." - Nelson Mandela

I have also been reading other people's blogs as I'm curious as to how other people are getting on. http://xtina-bee.blogspot.co.uk and http://lisavsms.wordpress.com have been incredibly helpful and interesting to read :)

I was shown this video by my personal trainer, Antony, the other day. At first I felt it was a cheesy american motivational speech, [Which it kind of is]. However, give it a chance and what Ray Lewis has to say makes perfect sense and can be applied to all areas of life. 


P xx

No comments:

Post a Comment